Tuesday, September 9, 2014

How To Decide What To Share On Social Media





I'm not a yeller. Nor would you expect a slew of four letter expletives to fall from my mouth.  Therapy and lots of personal transformational work has quelled the bursts of emotional ranting that were common in my younger years. In other words I’ve learned to press pause before I open my mouth.

The exception to all this is when I drive. When I get behind the wheel of a car, all bets are off. My fuse is short. My calm and grounded persona disappears and my emotions flare. I have less than nice things to say about every car and driver that cuts me off, changes lanes without signaling and makes a sudden stop without warning. 

It's as though an alien power takes over my body and I flip back and forth between the woman who practices meditation and the one that emerges like the Loch Ness Monster when another driver does something stupid.

I warn people who have never driven with me. 

But sometimes I forget. 

In which case I explain after the fact, apologizing profusely until the color returns to their face, their body starts to relax again, and they stop gripping the door handle.

While this is a part of what I like to call my multifaceted persona, it is not what I consider my best and most engaging side. 

Which is why I won't be tweeting an episode anytime soon. There will be no requests for my passenger to video the outburst and post it on Facebook or Instagram. 

Why then, you might ask, am I even bringing it up here? 


To make my point. Not every aspect of who we are, where we go and what we do needs to be shared. 


I might not have control over the person I become when driving, but I do have control over what I choose to share on social media. 

When deciding what is share worthy these are the questions I like to ask myself:

  • Is it useful?
  • Is it relevant?
  • Is it representative of whom I am as a brand?
  • Does it educate,entertain, inspire and/or convince?
  • Is this something I wouldn't mind seeing on a billboard?


The person I become when driving  would never make the cut - unless I am using it to illustrate a point - which in this case is that not everything is worth sharing.








No comments: