Thursday, November 7, 2013

Why Twitter Is My Favorite Social Network


Twitter goes public today. Of course, you'd have to be living under a rock not to know that. Pundits on and off line are offering predictions for what it's really worth

My unscientific opinion is a lot.

But I'm biased. 

Twitter is my favorite of all the social channels

People who don't know Twitter don't see it for all it offers.  Their impression is that it is nothing more than a repository for Kim Kardashian to justify why she makes so much money or Anthony Weiner to tweet pictures of parts of him we'd all rather not see.

I was reluctant at first, too. I wasn't quite sure what to make of tweeting when I first joined - almost five years ago - but eventually I was won over. Which if I think about it - is how most of my great loves started. 

Twitter is a challenge - which is ironically one of the things I like about it. Limiting me, a verbose Greek to 140 characters or less (120 for pros who want to be retweetable) is never an easy task. 

But that's just part of the fun. 

Twitter is -
-a source of news and information
-an easy way to keep up with the trades and/or influencers       
-a source of insight into almost anything from pop culture to digital marketing
-a place to voice an opinion - uncensored
-a place to listen to others opinions 
-a place to make new connections - globally
-a place to learn more about the connections you already made
-a great resource for prospecting new clients and learning about them 
-a venue to amplify an event
-a channel to meet other people at the event
-a place to ask a question and start a conversation
-unfettered by intrusions in the sidebar (at least for now)
-a great way to start a conversation or spread one
-a way to start movements

That's just some of why it's my favorite. I could go on.

But let's face it. Those financial types could care less why I like it. They just want to know how it will make money.

The trick will be to keep it likable and to make money while not annoying users in the process.

We'll see how that goes.

In the meantime if you want to follow me on Twitter click  here.


Like this blog? Don't want to miss the next one? Sign up here to have it delivered right to your mailbox! 















No comments: