Friday, February 5, 2010

Weekend Reads


If you are looking for a great read this weekend, something that will make you glad it is cold outside and not care if it snows a foot, pick up a copy of Sarah's Key. It's rare that I find myself with a book that is so good, I just cannot put it down. The kind of story that keeps me up late and has me abandoning all other reading and my own writing. Sarah's Key is that kind of story.


The author, Tatiana De Rosnay takes a factual event, the Vel'd'Hiv' roundup that took place on July 16, 1942 and weaves it into a fascinating work of fiction which finds its way into the present day.


The Vel'd'Hiv' roundup is considered a black mark in French history. On that day French police, acting under orders from the German Gestapo forced thousands of Jewish men, women and children from their homes, most, ultimately to their death. The author takes you back and forth from 1942 to modern day Paris in a page turning story that will leave you wanting another chapter.


It is no wonder that Tatiana De Rosnay is considered one of the top ten fiction authors in Europe. Sarah's Key is an international bestseller and has sold over a million copies to date, a slow but steady climb up the lists. She is the kind of author that inspires me to write.


For the record I am not the least suspcious how this book is selling so well. The reason is pretty simple. It is good story, brilliantly written. It can be that easy.

1 comment:

SimplyForties said...

Thanks for the tip. I've just ordered it for my Kindle. Have you read The Book Thief? Also set in WWII and also excellent.